So it’s been one years since I got this website and I’m feeling a little bummed that I haven’t accomplished more and that I haven’t got it to look the way I want it to. But I’m hoping for that to change before the New Year (or over the holidays). I will be employing a good friend of mine to help redesign the site. Money I don’t REALLY have but if this is something that I really want to do then I need to spend money to make money RIGHT??
A lot has happened in this last year. A lot of pretty awesome things and I thought maybe I’d share some!
1) The Year of Conventions: I was very fortunate and got to go to 5 conventions this year with my friend and favourite artist Camilla d’Errico. Vancouver, Calgary, SAN DIEGO (WOOT WOOT!!!), Toronto and Edmonton. I hope to be able to try out some different ones next year – perhaps New York and Komicazee. But we shall see.
2) Networking and new friends: At these conventions I got to meet some fantastic people involved in the industry of comics and art and tv. Drinks were had, food was eaten, crabs were broken and bags were smelt. Adapia d’Errio was a great pleasure to finally meet – Camilla’s sister and all around great person and very active in the art community. Conor McCreery of Kill Shakespeare is my new favourite ginger; super nice guy, incredibly talented and very outgoing. John Gallagher and his wife Kirstin were certainly a delight. John is no nonsense and has a very clear view of the world of good vs. BAD tv. That’s always an interesting topic with him. Kirstin is very kind and really funny and I LOVE HER LEGGINGS. I also got to meet Kalan and his booth minions for the reboot of Captain Canuck. and the boys behind Nuvango.com (formerly Gelaskins.com) Cale and Brian. So funny. Really encouraging. And love to make fun of me. And the talented UK artist Alice behind DestinyBlue. I haven’t been as excited about anyone’s art since I first discovered Camilla’s stuff. Fantastic stuff!
3) Peter S. Beagle and The Last Unicorn: This year was the Canadian theater tour for The Last Unicorn (and it has continued into the US and is still going right now and until 2016). This is my favourite movie of all time. Always has been and always will be. I was lucky enough to see this movie for the first time in my life on the big screen in a theater in Vancouver over the Easter weekend (and Fan Expo Vancouver). I may have cried a little. Ok, I silently cried like a baby for the first few minutes after it started. But it was one of the single best moments of my life. I also got to meet Peter S. Beagle – the author of the novel and for the screenplay for the movie. WHAT A WONDERFUL MAN. I cannot stress that enough. I made a joke to my mom when I found out he would be at the Fan Expo in Vancouver that I was going to ask him if I could add his signature to my Last Unicorn Tattoo. She said it wouldn’t hurt to ask. So I did. And he said “Absolutely. I’m a part of many tattoos. I’d be blessed.” I may have had to quickly leave because I was so happy and was going to cry. He was at the Calgary Expo as well and so I got the signature from him there. I planned to get it done as soon as possible by the artist I usually see, but as kismet would have it there was a tattoo studio exhibiting at the expo and offering autograph tattoos at $100 flat. Suffice to say I got in line right then and got it 2 hours later. Many pictures were taken by Peter’s rep and I’ve been told that it will be featured in the Canadian Tour special edition re-release of The Last Unicorn. Oh man am I excited! I also spent some time chatting with Peter’s publisher Connor Cochrane of Cochrane Press. Really nice guy. Very talkative and very personable. Looking to collaborate with Camilla in the future (you’re welcome Camilla – I got you another networking opportunity! not that you needed my help…)
4) Celebrities Met: Ted Raimi, Elijah Wood, Ian Sommerholder, Arthur Darvill, Morena Baccarin, Michael Rosenbalm, Bruce Campbell, Adrian Paul, Amy Acker, Jim Byrnes, George RR Martin, etc… Others that I can’t think of right now. But I’m still super jealous that Camilla got to spend time with Nathan Fillion… Damn having to watch the booth!!
5) Exercise!!! So I can be a bit of a sloth and I know I’ve needed to be more active in the last few years. I do play dodgeball and have played up to 4 nights a week, but injuries have made me have to slow down and therefore I don’t get as much exercise. I still play dodgeball but this year the boyfriend has started to get me to the gym and we are going for walks. I did The Walking Dead zombie run in San Diego with Camilla – which was fun by eye opening about how out of shape I am haha. Also did an obstacle course that I did well on but pretty much walked the whole way (not really the point of it but I think I did well!). Next year I hope to do Mud Hero again (year before last), perhaps another one or two obstacle courses too and to continue getting into better shape. I’m feeling pretty confident.
6) Choir: I haven’t been in a choir since high school many moons ago. But I joined one this year and so far I am enjoying myself. They are a great group of people and the group is called Edmonton Vocal Minority.
7) Anniversary: 5 years with the boyfriend was reached this May. Celebrations were had and he moved in in July. Taking so good steps I think.
8) Writing: I am writing again. Camilla encouraged me to start writing again even if no one sees it. She suggested Doctor Who fan fiction. I may or may not be doing that… But I will be participating in the Write a Novel in a Month challenge starting November 1st and ending Nov. 30th. The challenge is to write a minimum 50,000 word novel in 30 days. Good or bad. Probably bad. But just to get you writing. WE SHALL SEE!! I have some ideas rattling around in my brain that I would like to get out. So fingers crossed I make it.
This has been a great year so far in many ways. And despite my constant struggle with depression I feel like there is always a bright light at the end of the tunnel and that there are many wonderful things for me to look forward to and to be happy about. Things can only get better!